Here is a non Facebook link to be able to track the voyage of the KHSD 50 something cruising cat. Follow the Sailboat by satellite. When the map appears, if you click on the boat and each dot behind them you can get the location, direction, and speed.
We finally get to see some pictures of Chris Anderson’s cat that he designed and is building. This is going on in New Zealand. North Island I think. This is a CM (cylinder molded) developed plywood vessel. Chris goes away back on the process. In fact he is in the original CM video.
If I may throw in a bit of bio: Chris led the team that designed the fly-by-wire controls for the Boeing 777. I’m surprised he has not also been interviewed by Wolf Blitzer this week.
Being from the antipodes, Chris did not know about Autocad, so he designed and used his own 3D modeling CADD software.
This unit will have 6 unstayed masts. I recall seeing the rig arrangement fastened to the top of his car; he was conducting tests.
Good stuff and great to see it move along.
Upgraded the video on this a bit: The layup on a 68′ cylinder molded hull currently under construction in Roatan: it’s speeded up quite a bit, this is about 25 minutes of real time. the half hull panels are approximately 11′ x 71′ – 4 layers of 3mm plywood and 33 gallons of epoxy.
[flashvideo file=”http://multihullblog.com/wp-content/uploads/flash-hull.flv” /]
If you could answer these questions and forward the answers to me to help start the design process.
- How long should be between charging batteries, once a day, twice a day, two days?
- Singlehanding needed?
- Shorttacking is fun
- The sole should be flat
- In light weather the boat should power if speed falls below 5 knots?
- Dining seats must be face to face?
- Galley should be out of traffic?
- Head area should be separate?
- All winches should be hand powered?
- Transom steps?
- Boat should be able to be beached?
- Kickup rudders?
- Shoal draft important?
- Unobstructed inside headroom is important
- Leangth of trips planned?
- Motor noise?
- Sea noise?
- Weight/cost tradeoffs
- Resale is important?
- Interior style? Old yacht-eurostyle-plastic boat style-mega yacht style
- Reefing gear type
- Frequency of anchoring intended
- Frequency of tacking and trimming intended
- Racing intended
- Helm should be covered from weather
- Good raingear is all that is needed
- Trimming quality verses helmstation comfort tradeoffs
- Most time under sail will be spent where?
- Most time at anchor will be spent where?
- Previous boats?
- Previous voyages?
- Previous races?
- How important is boatspeed?
- Boatspeed verses comfort tradeoffs
- Examples of best multi you have seen
- Examples of worst multi that you have seen
- Number of persons expected on most or typical voyages, and relationship of those people
- Most work will be upwind or downwind
- Rotating mast or not
- Fractional rig or not
- Fuel choice, why?
- Engine choice, why?
- How good should paint job be?
- Are there any other questions that i should have asked, but forgot to?